Monday, July 21, 2008

Think Pink

It's that time of year again -- time for a mammogram. The technology has really improved -- digital cameras and no waiting around to see if they got a good picture -- plus the new machines don't have to squeeze so hard to get a good image. No more of that tit in a wringer stuff. I was in and out in less than twenty minutes -- time well spent when you consider how prevalent breast cancer is and how very curable it is with early detection.


There's no history of breast cancer in my family, but I trot along every year for my mammogram, just as I do for my pap smear and ovarian ultrasound (there is a history there, as my mother died of ovarian cancer). And now that I'm in my sixties, there's the colonoscopy every few years. All of these are tedious in their way but how lucky we are to have these early detection systems. Expensive, for sure, but late stage cancer's even more so.

And the really great thing, for me at least, is that, having had the mammogram or pap smear or whichever, now I feel like I've done what I can do -- and for the rest of the year, I pretty put these particular worries out of my mind.

Note: Spell check suggests substituting the words cloudscape or kaleidoscope for colonoscopy. Wouldn't that be nice?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Susan M. Bell said...

Had my first mammogram about 3 years ago, and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I had feared it would be. In a few years, I will start the yearly trek right along with you. (40 right? Year and a half then. Boy is it sneaking up.) I too have a family history of ovarian cancer (grandmother) so when I had to have an emergency hysterectomy last year, we got rid of those puppies too. Ovarian cancer is one of the hardest to detect, so to me, the good outweighed the bad on that one.

Every woman should keep up with whatever tests are necessary to remain healthy. We tend to spend more time worrying about others though, don't we.

Susan M. Bell said...

Oops, forgot to mention...love that first picture on today's post. Is that one of the great views from your home?

Vicki Lane said...

Yep, the picture was taken yesterday morning from our bedroom window -- great pastels, aren't they?