Saturday, December 6, 2008

What Lies Beneatth



Dessicated Physalis (aka Chinese Lantern) seed pod
(photo, courtesy Sophie Dalle)



Sea urchin shell.



Leafless Locust Tree



Raccoon Skull

I am fascinated by the frameworks of things -- what lies beneath. The geometric grid work of the seed pod, the orderly rows of dots on the sea urchin shell, the graceful abandon of the locust branches, even the uncompromising curves and hollows of the bleached skull -- Nature is still generous with beauty, even when life is gone.

('Biggify' these pictures for the full effect.)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Marta McDowell said...

Such a season for skeletons. The cold dry air makes everything stand out in relief.

Signs in the Blood arrived at Sages Pages, our local indie bookstore, on Friday. Mmmm. I have that same feeling that descends when my neighbor Chris arrives with her homemade chocolate chip cookies. Do I savor the experience slowly or gobble them up all at once? Since I generally take the latter route, glad that I'm just at the start of the series.

Wish I could join your characters in some old rocker on the porch for a nice long visit (yes, especially Elizabeth) and taking in the views.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, I hope you enjoy it! I'm Very proud of the historical subplot, the Little Sylvie story, less so of the main story. My writing has improved with each book (at least my agent, my editor, and I think so) but I still think SIGNS is a good read.

Gobble away!

Tammy said...

I love that first picture--it looks like a little lady with a red hat and huge parasol!
Tammy

Vicki Lane said...

I had been seeing a Persian pleasure dome but now I can only see the little lady in the red hat with the parasol. Perfect!

Pat in east TN said...

Really amazing pictures ... whether they be yours or someone elses, they're always a pleasure to see.