Wednesday, July 7, 2010

At Long Last!

You may recall that I sent in Under the Skin back in mid-May. And that I haven't heard back from my editor as to whether she liked it or not. Though I've tried to remain stoical about it, I have been fretting. Just a tad.

I didn't want to email and ask if she'd read it yet. After all, I'd been very, very  much past my deadline in getting the book in -- how could I expect Herself to hurry with reading my manuscript? Besides, she was probably busy hanging out with her big, important guys -- you know, Lee Child, Karen Slaughter, Deb Crombie, Laurie King . . . that gang of NY Times bestsellers.

Or maybe, the voice of doubt said, Herself has read it. Maybe she hates it and is trying to find a way out of the contract. Or . . . or . . .

Finally my agent mentioned to Herself that we were wondering if she'd had a chance to take a look at Under the Skin.

What? says Herself, I read it back in May and accepted it and sent Vicki a note with a cc. to you. 

No, says Ann, my indefatigable agent, we didn't get a note.

Hmm, says, Herself, I'll have to check when I get back to the office.
Okay, now I knew that the book had been accepted. What I didn't know is how Herself felt about it.  And that matters rather immensely.

So I braved up and emailed Herself. And this is what she said.

 I think it's the best thing you've ever written. I was totally enmeshed in it--the characterizations were rich and fresh and the novel-within-the-novel was strong and instantly compelling. I hated for the book to end, I truly did.


Calloo, callay! Oh, frabjous day! I chortled in my joy!  

Herself went on to mention one plot line that needed reinforcing -- which I shall promptly give some thought to and address when I get the line-edited, copy-edited manuscript back.
But oh! what a weight is lifted!

Posted by Picasa




29 comments:

Catalyst said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

(Was that loud enough?)

Victoria said...

YIPPEE, YEE HAW, and WHOOOO HOOOOO!!

I'm happy for you, Vicki! And I'm happy for myself, too, and all the other people who love your books...because we will have the pleasure of reading it!

Victoria said...

Whoops, I got so excited over the book I forgot to say I love the photos. Espically the one of the clouds with the sun's rays dazzling through...beautiful!

Martin said...

So pleased to hear your good news. It must have been a very nervous time for you, not hearing anything back.

Onwards an upwards from here!

Pat in east TN said...

Congratulations Vicki! Can you hear us all yelling, clapping our hands and stomping our feet!?!?! I am sure this is a great weight lifted from your shoulders, and to think that Herself wrote back in May and the note is floating around somewhere while you're stressing. Goodness sakes!

Brian Miller said...

woohoo! congratulations! that is awesome...so happy for you!

NCmountainwoman said...

Hooty Hoot! I am so excited for you (and for us). What wonderful words. Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Elora said...

Oh, Vicki!! Just got the news!!! (came in from milking) Oh, how wonderful! We share your joy! Congratulations!!!!!

Elora

KarenB said...

Oh, lovely! My heartfelt congratulations! "The best thing you've written" Wonderful! I can't wait to get my hands and eyes on it.

Jean Baardsen said...

That's wonderful news!!! Richly deserved!

Anonymous said...

Not a surprise, but I'm glad you know now how much she liked it. Can't wait to read the one coming out in the fall and good to know the next one is 'in the works."

Lynne in GA

Helen in SC said...

Congratulations! Outstanding! Can't wait to read it! I got a Nook for my birthday and am now reading Sharyn McCrumb's latest on it. That was an exciting gift for me. Your news is adding to the excitement. Good for you!

Tipper said...

Whoo hoo for you-and for those of us who can't wait to read it!!

Not wanting the book to end-was something I felt about each of your books.

Tammy said...

WOOOOHOOOO! Hurry hurry hurry Herself! I can't wait for the next Elizabeth book. :-) I bet that is such a feeling of joy to find out (after all this time) that she loved it.
Great news.
Tammy

Leah said...

Good on you! That's such good news.

Friko said...

Well, there you are, stop fretting!

Kaye Wilkinson Barley - Meanderings and Muses said...

HOORAY!!!

Vicki - this is WONDERFUL news!

Congratulations! and a hug.

Vicki Lane said...

Many thanks, folks, for joining in my celebration!

As always, when I send something in I'm pretty sure it is without any redeeming qualities but when I look at it a month or so later, why I'm pleasantly surprised. I can't trust my instincts on either occasion which is why I need to hear from Herself.

Onwards and upwards, indeed!

Miss_Yves said...

Congratulations!

If you laughed out at the private jokes of Marguerite-Marie et Daniel, it means that you understand French very well although you can say!

Merisi said...

I am thrilled and so glad for you that not only the long wait is over, but that your work has been recognized as outstanding! Congratulations! I hope you sleep well tonight.

Thank you so much for the NPR link about Emily D!

Folkways Note Book said...

Pins and needles -- glad you know now! -- barbara

St Louis Susan said...

What treats ALL of us have in store! TWO wonderful, absorbing books.......thanks to the talent gods for blessing you, Vicki.

Pame Recetas said...

CONGRATULATIONS my dear! I´m so happy for you; big hugs

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, Miss Yves -- I was so excited when I realized that I did understand!

Merisi -- I thought that was a fascinating hypothesis --will have to look for that book.

And thanks to all of you-- your good wishes get me through some darkish moments!

Stephanie D said...

Congratulations! Now your fingernails can grow back, right?

Vagabonde said...

The suspense of waiting must have been dreadful. I am so pleased that you finally found out and that it was exactly what you had hoped for. Lovely.

gayle said...

Congrats!! such exciting news!!!!!

Stella Jones said...

Congratulations!
I like the black and white foot. It is very shapely. Who does it belong to?
Blessings, Star

Vicki Lane said...

Thank you, all!

The foot belongs to my younger son, Star.