Wednesday, January 5, 2011

India Black

 

Here's a good read for the dark days of January. I  loved this cheeky romp -- a kind of  Fanny Hill meets Nancy Drew in a world Dickens would have known. India Black, the witty and resourceful young madam of a London brothel,  is a delightful protagonist and I shall follow her future career with particular interest. 

I was sent an advance reading copy some while back (full disclosure: Carol Carr and I are represented by the same agent) but the book only became available yesterday. 

If you enjoy a strong female protagonist and mystery in a historical setting, you need to meet India Black.


Sound fun? A full review can be found at http://www.lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com/
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Martin said...

This has all the potential for a TV adaptation. I'm immediately thinking of Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke.

Unknown said...

Sounds great. The cover is enticing.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

India Black is one very interesting lady! A great read no doubt.

Jules said...

I will wait with bated breath for it to arrive in OZ!

Pat in east TN said...

I always like when you recommend a book ... thanks Vicki!

KarenB said...

Sounds like a fun antidote to the winter doldrums.

Carol Carr said...

I tuned in for my latest update from the hills and was pleasantly surprised to see India adorning your blog this morning. Thanks for introducing her to your readers, Vicki, and for your support from the very beginning.

Darla said...

I don't need anything oh-so-serious to read right now, so a "cheeky romp" sounds perfect! Thanks, Vicki, for the recommendation! I love light mysteries...if a murder can be called light, that is...?

Christine said...

Sounds like a great read to me. I'll have to check this one out.

Louise said...

Sounds like fun! What an unusual lead character.

Folkways Note Book said...

Always look for book recommendations -- thanks -- Barbara

Brian Miller said...

intriguing...i am always looking for a good read...

PattyF said...

Thanks, Vicki! I'm adding it to my reading list.

Vicki Lane said...

I've always enjoyed good historical fiction -- such a painless way to improve one's grasp of the past. And so often reading about an era hhas led me to seek out primary sources just to learn ore.

jennyfreckles said...

Now that's a good cover to entice me in, as well as your recommendation. I'm well into 'The Day of Small Things' now - my lunch break had to extended by 15 minutes today as I just had to read the next chapter!

Vagabonde said...

That really sounds like a great book to read. I have it now on my list.