Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Country Places . . . Country Art



I stopped by my friend Sallie Kate Kathy's Country Places real estate office the other day and took pictures of some of her folk art collection.
 . 
These charming critters were made by two old brothers  who had worked for the state road department. They cut the shapes from discarded road signs and painted them with house paint.

 When the brothers died and their relatives put the house up for sale, Kathy discovered these beasties nailed to trees all around the house. The family was busy taking them down and hauling them to the dump, alas.

 I'm guessing these two above are squirrels . . .

Kathy also has some funky mule ear, porch settin' chairs that have been fancied up with lawn chair webbing for seats, casters, and imaginative paint jobs.

Quirky fun!
 
Some years ago, after I begged and whined and generally carried on trying to get her to sell me one of the critters, Kathy gave me a cat that makes me smile every time I see it. Which is often, as the kitty sit atop the wood stove in our kitchen. I particularly like the little Olivia Newton-John headband.
 
Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Ms. A said...

I love the critters and that they were made by brothers, from discarded road signs!

Martin said...

I love this kind of art. It has an unquestionable integrity about it.

Miss_Yves said...

Very creative !
I understand why you smile every time you see the funny cat!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

The beasties are adorable. They've certainly put a smile on my face this morning.
Sam

Brian Miller said...

that road sign art is really cool actually...the squirrels are fun...hey they are a testamant to recycling...smiles..

Christine said...

Those pieces are wonderful! What an imagination those two old gents had. Love those funky chairs!

Kath said...

What joy in the art!
Yes. The cat makes me smile! Purrfect way to start a day.

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

Beautiful! We recently visited the KY Folk Art Center (http://www2.moreheadstate.edu/kfac/) at Morehead State University where they have a large collection of such sculptures, including works by Edgar Tolson and his son Donnie. It's free and well worth a stop if you're in the area.

Aileen Miles said...

Also the kitty's legwarmers are cute!

Jean Baardsen said...

Real treasures!

Unknown said...

I covet that kitty!

Jules said...

There is something wonderful about naive country art. I really like your cat!

Judith said...

I love these too. They entertain me while I'm waiting for Kathy to get off the phone.

Mel said...

The art critters are wonderfully unique. I hope none of them went to the dump.

Love the chairs too, what a great way to salvage broken cane bottom chairs!

Your cat is adorable. Lucky for you that you carried on so!

Inger said...

How great that she was able to save those wonderful critters!

katy gilmore said...

I love the critters - wish I could have seen them in place on the trees. What joy the brothers must have had creating them!

Mary Maupin said...

The animals are truly wonderful!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Kittie is cute, but I love that chair with the yellow seat!

Novice Naturalist said...

Main Street Art Gallery in Clayton, GA has for many years supported art like this and the artists who create it. If you get the Clayton, take a look around. You'll be thrilled with what you find, I'm sure.

Vicki, thanks for sharing!
http://mainstreetgallery.net/

NCmountainwoman said...

Oh, I think you got the very best one! Makes a person smile just to look at it. We all need some whimsy in our lives. Is her name Olivia?