Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Lady Moon


Luna, Artemis, Diana, Selene, Cynthia . . . the classic Greek and Roman mythology that informs most of western literature insists that the moon is feminine.  And while an internet search reveals that many cultures see (or saw) Earth's satellite as male, this seems illogical to me.
 

Yes, I know,  if we're talking illogical, really, the moon is a genderless hunk of rock and barren soil. But if we're speaking poetically, I have trouble thinking of the moon as a he.


Shakespeare understood when he wrote "the moon, the fickle moon, the inconstant moon, that monthly changes in her circle orb. . ."

 

Fickle, but beautiful in all her aspects . . .
 
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Martin said...

Yes, I always felt slightly uneasy about the 'man in the moon'.

Ms. A said...

The moon must surely be a "she" because she looks so lovely in your photos.

Kath said...

Interesting that 'inanimate' things have gender.

Jean Baardsen said...

Lovely photos! I agree that the moon is female, if we're assigning gender. The French knew this - la lune.

June said...

Great photos!

Brian Miller said...

oh she is beautiful...was marveling at her last night as we drove home late...so big and voluptuous...

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Beautiful moon shots!

Deanna said...

Far be it from me to argue with Shakespeare. She is beautiful!

Stella Jones said...

Definitely female! Absolutely, positively female. She told me :,)

NCmountainwoman said...

Beautiful! But "the moon's a harsh mistress" nonetheless.

katy gilmore said...

Perfect!

Gwen said...

Definitely a "Gibson Girl" moon in your photos - not a "Man in the Moon"!

jennyfreckles said...

I believe you, from these photos. She looks so soft and glowing.

Folkways Note Book said...

Fabulous shots of our recent full moon -- barbara

Ellis Vidler said...

I love the way it grows as your photos go down the page. I'm with you and Shakespeare--definitely female.