Tuesday, September 18, 2012

On the Same Page in West Jefferson, NC

 The past weekend found me is a corner of North Carolina I'd never visited -- West Jefferson. It's at a higher elevation than my neck of the woods and I took lots of pictures of views. The house where I stayed faces east and I felt right at home, watching the glorious sunrises. (The house is for sale, by the way, as the owner is down sizing. Should any of you be in the market for a little bit of heaven, email me and I'll put you in touch with the owner.)
I arrived Thursday night, in time for a fine supper with my hostess and one of her friends (delicious apple pie, Lynda!) and then we hustled off to hear Lee Smith speak. Lee is a long time favorite author for me and she's a delight to listen to. She's at work on a novel centering around F. Scott Fitzgerald's troubled wife Zelda and her stay at Asheville's Highlands Hospital -- a mental institution. I also purchased a copy of Lee's most recent publication -- MRS. DARCY AND THE BLUE-EYED STRANGER -- a  collection of wonderful short stories that has kept me up reading every night since.
On Friday at ten, it was my turn. I spoke to a very nice audience and following the festival's theme of 'Journeys,' I talked about my journey from Florida suburb to mountainside farm, my journey from occasional scribbler to published author, and the journeys my characters make within each book. All these journeys, as it turns out, have more to do with moving toward understanding than merely covering miles. 
 Later on, my hostess (actually, she was called my handler and was responsible for getting me where I needed to be and seeing that I didn't get into trouble,) her friend Sue, and I walked around the quilt fair. Alas, Vagabonde, I took no pictures. I was surprised to see that almost every quilt displayed was machine quilted -- a change from any quilt exhibit I've ever been to. Machine quilted or not, there were some real beauties there.
My next event was called Lunch With an Author --- at which I had been warned told there would be a surprise. I knew that an old friend from high school days would be there and I was expecting, perhaps, embarrassing pictures from the 1960 yearbook. So off my handler and I went to the boardroom of the library to chat with readers over lunch and see what this surprise was going to be.

I'll tell you all about it tomorrow, as well as about some of the other authors that I met and some of the events. This festival is quite amazing -- art shows, gallery crawl, quilt fair, farmers' market and who knows what all filling this beautiful little mountain town. . .

16 comments:

katy gilmore said...

sounds a great weekend Vicki!

Ms. A said...

The photos are gorgeous, such beautiful scenery and that U shaped tree trunk is very... "U"nique!

Martin said...

Thanks for sharing your time away, Vicki. Looking forward to part 2.

Merisi in Vienna said...

Gorgeous views, wished the house was a bed and breakfast, I'd book it for my late October trip!

Love that you now have a handler. ;-)
Can't wait to find out about the lunch surprise.

Is there a way to find out when the region will be in its best fall colors, Vicki?

Brian Miller said...

sounds like there was enough good stuff to keep you busy...i am intrigued as to the surprise....

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

West Jefferson is on my 'want to visit' list. I believe there are a couple of really interesting churches there.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Wow- those mountain views were gorgeous!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

What wonderful photos!!! The sunset/sunrise is brilliant!!! WOW!! Cathy

Vicki Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki Lane said...

Oops -- the link I just posted was to an article from '06. Here's an up to date guide to fall color, Merisi.

http://usatravel.about.com/od/Weather/ss/Fall-Foliage_7.htm

Jim, I think you and Dorcus would enjoy West Jeff -- it's absolutely charming.

Eileen Reilly Nephin Bish said...

What fun! Post Office says picture should be at your place by Thursday!!!! Hugs..Eileen

Chris Arvidson said...

Vicky, thanks so much for coming to our West Jefferson neighborhood. You were wonderful!

Unknown said...

Vicki, you were such fun and your "journey" was fascinating to all your listeners. We love our little mountain community so very much and I'm glad you got to see it when the weather was just perfect. Be glad you aren't here this week -- fog, drizzle and gloom. Perfect weather for writing a mystery!

jennyfreckles said...

Love that word 'handler' - did you cause them trouble? The house looks lovely - fabulous views; I'd never get anything done if I lived there.

Deanna said...

It sounds like a wonderful few days. The views are breath taking!

Vicki Lane said...

jennyfreckles -- how can you even THINK I would cause trouble?