Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Everlasting Lure . . .


Oh, no! If I don't respond to this mailing from Publishers Clearing House, I will no longer be in the running for ONE MILLION DOLLARS plus five thousand dollars a week FOR LIFE!
 

So, here I am, rustling through pages and pages of enticing offers in search of the proper stamps to affix to the entry form, not to mention playing sticker bingo for some additional pay out other.

I hate it when I do this -- when I allow myself to imagine that I might win this incredible prize. Of course, a million dollars isn't what it used to be . . . and five thousand a week is pocket change to America's CEOs.

But still, one can dream... some off the top to various charities. repairs on our house, a new roof on the rent house, new fencing, some serious brush cutting and tree trimming (not THE tree,) help the kids  pay off mortgages, student loans, car loans...

I resist buying any of their stuff . . . even the Wax Vac Ear Cleaner . . .

The kittehs think I should order the Leopard Design Cat Tunnel but I am firm... 


I'll never get back that time spent licking stamps and sifting through all the directions.. Nor the 42 cents. But somehow, it's worth it to have the brief fantasy.
 
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Ms. A said...

I used to do it and have dreams of winning. Now, I figure if I hang onto the price of postage, at least I'm 42 cents better off!

Victoria said...

I used to do the same thing, and then I realized: I don't have the kind of luck that wins money. As I was pasting the stickers and shuffling through the papers, I started thinking about how long I had been playing the California Lottery. I figured, oh, about fifteen years. And my total winnings for that time period? Nine dollars. Yep, just nine dollars. I threw the papers in the trash and haven't played the lottery since then...I just don't have that kind of luck. But, I'm crossing my fingers for you, Vicki!

Alan Burnett said...

I have stopped fantasising about winning great amounts of money and what I will do with the prize, now my imagination seems to concentrate on things like could I clean the interior of my leopard skin cat tunnel with an ear wax rotary cleaner. What a sad life I lead

Brian Miller said...

but should you win...how sweet it will be eh? smiles....for the few minutes it would then def be worth it...lol

Vicki Lane said...

You all are so much more sensible than I -- especially Alan.

Lise said...

One can hope...

It amazes me how much money and paper is wasted on all this junk mail. I suppose there must be some corporate return on the investment, but they waste their money on me...I just burn it all!

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my Vicki, I too don't play that game (or even open the envelope) any more. By this time of my life I figure I've earned and spent about million dollars, and I live very close to the bone. I think of relatives who have earnings much higher than I ever had, so know they have had much more of that green energy flow through their lives!

Frances said...

Vicki, your post has reminded me that it's been years since I received one of these Publisher's Clearing House invitations. Perhaps that is down to my own good luck?

xo

Tammy said...

But only 11.99 (and you can make PAYMENTS!) for that cat tunnel! :-)

I think we all do dream sometimes. Just that little bit of extra cash to take the pressure off and maybe even be a bit extravagant for a moment.

Tammy

Tammy said...

But only 11.99 (and you can make PAYMENTS!) for that cat tunnel! :-)

I think we all do dream sometimes. Just that little bit of extra cash to take the pressure off and maybe even be a bit extravagant for a moment.

Tammy

jennyfreckles said...

Over here it's Reader's Digest enticing us to buy lots of books and enter their draws. I've never known anyone who won a penny. But the dreaming is fun.

Novice Naturalist said...

I think I must have been dropped off some cyber economic status list because I don't even get these offers anymore. Good Luck!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I don't ever get any of that in the mail anymore...I think they gave up on me! But what fun it is to dream of winning those millions.