Sunday, October 25, 2020

Polly Allen's House-Update





The Allen House in Marshall, where Polly and Lawrence lived and where a good deal of CROWS takes place, has been spiffed up and painted a beautiful blue.  What follows is an up date of a post from 2014. For those of you reading the novel now, seeing the interior may help set the scene.


Mary Allen (who was known as Polly) is one of the five voices in my novel . . . 


Her house  was a familiar sight to me for over forty years . . . long before I thought of writing anything at all.



It's a private residence and the owner was kind enough to let me take pictures of the parlor .


Some of the original wallpaper remains . . .



Front door and stairs . . .


 Dining room


 A pie safe ...

As I wrote the scenes with Polly, it was easy to imagine her moving through this house, to see the sheriff running up the stairs, to hear the glass breaking in the sidelights . . .

I couldn't be sure of what has changed since Polly's time, but I did the best I could with research and let my imagination fill in the gaps


14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

its cool that she is familiar and that you have gone to see...that is good research and def will add authenticity...

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for taking us with you through that lovely home...which certainly witnessed some horrors (as well as imagined delights.) Those walls and floors should tell some stories.

Lise said...

Fantastic architecture! How lucky that you could go in...could you feel Polly's spirit while you were there? Visiting inside her house must have been very special for you.

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

I remember walking by the house and photographing the exterior when we were in Marshall last October. Thanks for the peek inside.

Jime said...

Thank you for the trip. What a wonderful old house.

Carol Bryner said...

I was excited for you to be in that house. "If walls could talk." I'm sure your imagination will have a wonderful go of it.

Folkways Note Book said...

What a fabulous place to bring your story to life. Love that old photo -- barbara

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the glimpse into the house and a character in the new book. I love old houses and the stories they can tell. Can't wait for the new book.

Lynne in GA

Geri F. Brewster said...

Wonderful pictures of the house. Your imagination with the story and research will make for a great read!

jennyfreckles said...

Wonderful old place! It must help, being able to see that in your mind as you write.

Barbara Rogers said...

Fantastic to see the house in all its glory...can't wait to start reading Cows tomorrow when I pick it up at Malaprops.

Junk Journal Penpals said...

How interesting. I love history, especially when it comes to life like this. I have your book on my shelf in the bedroom, waiting to be started soon... Thank you for the walk around. I would not have been able to picture the house quite like that so I am grateful you took the trouble to show it to us. It was very nice of the current occupants to allow you to do so, wasn't it!

Lauren said...

Hi Vicki,

I'm looking forward to reading your book. My husband and I happen to be the owner of the house now and it will be interesting to see what you have included in the story.

Vicki Lane said...

Hi Lauren--Lucky you to own such a beautiful piece of history! I love the new paint job!