Monday, February 17, 2014

Sympathetic Magic --- Doing My Part


After a considerable snow Saturday morning, followed by considerable melting later in the day, we awoke Sunday morning to find it had snowed again in the night


We (not the royal we but John and I and the critters) are not amused.


The endless winter . . . Oh, I know this is nothing compared to those of you up north but I am forced to take measures . . . 


I think I know what the problem is. I usually leave the Christmas lights up to brighten the dark month of January but in past years I always have taken them down at the beginning of February. 

This year I didn't and The Weather seems to think it's still Christmas.  So I spent Sunday getting rid of the lights . . . and the pots of evergreens and the winter themed odds and ends.  


I've brought out the pastel quilts and pillow covers and put up pictures of flowers to help The Weather get some idea of which direction to go.

Tomorrow, assuming we're not snowed in, I'll be doing the grocery and recycling run.

I  hope to purchase a pot of blooming spring flowers -- maybe  pink tulips . . .

 Winter, I rebuke you and tell you to be gone!



21 comments:

Victoria said...

Thank you, Vicki, I appreciate your sympathetic magic, maybe now winter will come to Southern California!

katy gilmore said...

May your incantation be entirely successful - winter be gone!

KarenB said...

The shear effort to get the compost bucket to the compost heap just about undid me. STOMP! to get through the top layer of hardened, icy snow, PLUNGE down about a foot or more into softer snow. Then STOMP and PLUNGE for the other foot. Then a HEAVE to pick up the first foot and start again. That top layer is just thick and hard enough that it might, maybe hold me up, but usually not and the involuntary plunge is much worse than the voluntary one.

Brian Miller said...

ha. perhaps your spring magic will send winter packing...we are home for black ice...at least for another hour or so...i am def ready to get out and get back...

Vicki Lane said...

Indeed, I'll send it your way, Victoria!

Karen -- you are one of those folks up north that make me ashamed to be so whiny.

Lise said...

I'm one of the few who is still enjoying all this snow and would actually welcome another big storm, especially since I wasn't at the cabin for this most recent snow fall. I do love your pictures and am interested to see if your effort to persuade winter to move on works!

Barbara Rogers said...

Nothing like the direct approach to bring spring about! Thanks Vicki. All hail to Vicki...ok I'm getting a bit carried away. But it's better than whining! (unless there's cheese and crackers with the whine)

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

You're singing my annual February song. But thank you for the magic. It seems to be working on this side of the mountain. The coming week's forecast is definitely spring like.

Diotima Mantineia said...

Well, that should take care of winter, and so mote it be, as we say in my magical tradition. :-)I will look forward to the spring weather.

Kath said...

Love this post!!!
And I think it worked. The weather guessers say 60's by week's end here!!1 We haven't had snow like other places, but it's been sooo cold!

Jime said...

I will see if I can send you and John some of the abundant southern California sunshine to warm and brighten your day.

Jime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thérèse said...

May your spell work!

Friko said...

Could you come and tell the rain to stop while you’re at it?
I swear I am growing webbed-feet!

NCmountainwoman said...

The power of Vicki commands you. The power of Vicki commands you. I sure hope your magic works.

Frances said...

Oh Vicki, I so agree with your wishes that this snow fall parade will finish up.

Alas, more snow is due here tomorrow.

Good grief. xo

Folkways Note Book said...

take heart -- March is right around the corner -- barbara

Suz said...

good idea

Mel said...

I'm rebuking winter too. Enough. Uncle. I give. Today's storm was endless, more snow on top of too much snow...
But those tulips are so lovely, and I know mine are waiting under all that snow. Comforting thought.

Glenda Beall said...

I agree. Winter go away! I love the sunshine today, but rain comes back on Wednesday and I fear more ice and snow will follow. We had many accidents here in our area with the ice on the roads.
Love your pictures. I, too, am bringing out the spring things.

Stella Jones said...

Ha ha, it's worth a try. It's always fun to light the cauldron!