Sunday, October 26, 2014

Oops, I Did It Again


We had a second celebration for John's birthday last night. Ethan made a quick trip up from Atlanta; I made a chocolate cake. (One of the best and moistest ever, though I say it myself --'Siren's Chocolate Cake' from the SOUTHERN JUNIOR LEAGUE COOKBOOK.)


Four layers with freshly made citrus marmalade between the layers.


And fried chicken  -- I forgot to take a picture till most of it was done. John is convinced that fried chicken on the wood stove in the ne plus ultra  of fried chicken and I have to agree it was pretty delicious.


A mostly homegrown, mostly Southern feast -- mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, and green beans. The green beans were the ringers -- store bought and briefly steamed rather than cooked forever with fat back in the way of the South.. 


Of course there was more bubbly -- and I ended the evening feeling a bit weak and silly.


 But the kittehs refused to do this post for me.



17 comments:

June said...

Oh.
My.
Word.

That food all looks so mouth-watering. I bet the whole house smelled cozy and full of love.
Wow.
The cake, alone!!!!

Ms. A said...

That is just mean posting cake! I haven't had sweets for months! Everything looks delicious... even the stinkin' cake!

Martin said...

Looks scrumptious.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Everything looks delicious. Both of us always request fried chicken for our birthday dinners.
Sam

Thérèse said...

Everyone is going to wish for a birthday at your place!

Merisi said...

The food looks so good, I'd lick the plates, I'm sure!

Belatedly, happy birthday to John!

Hugs,
Merisi

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes, kittehs have to have nip in order to understand just what it feels like to drink bubbly...and then you all will just lie around with silly grins on your faces!

Stella Jones said...

Yum yum yum Vicky. It all looks delicious! What makes the cake extra moist?

Brian Miller said...

oh my...i want to be invited to the next birthday....that chicken looks scrumptuous....

Jill said...

Oh my...that looks so good.

Vicki Lane said...

Star, the recipe turned out quite moist and the marmalade between the layers made it even more so.

NCmountainwoman said...

Wow! Frying chicken on a wood stove must be quite an art. I'd never be able to adjust the temperature. Oh, it looks so good.

L. D. said...

Such great food, home cooking, makes it a great and memorable family event. The cleanup is always a downer but the food look like the greatest meal ever.

Unknown said...

The stains on the cookbook page almost guarantee a favorite and often used recipe. These cool days make the Waterford a double joy to use. Any excuse to celebrate is good.

Frances said...

Wow, Vicki, it's grand to see how John's birthday celebrations continued.

That cake looks like a wonder. Though I would never have qualified social caste wise for any Junior League, I do admit to admiring any recipe that might have passed the JL vetting.

What a fabulous birthday cake. Whar scrumptious fried chicken. What wisdom re the preparation of green beans, aka snaps.

Such a feast, and what memories you've brought to the surface.

Regards to those kittehs. I'm sure that they found their own way to send birthday greetings to John.

xo

Jime said...

OH MY! Gimmy some of the fried cheekin. It looks so good. I guess it's ok to just steam the green beans. That's the only way Joan fixes it for me, but if I get ahold of some they gonna be cooked into submission with steak-o-lean, or some side meat or a ham hock or some bacon. Double happy birthday John

Deanna said...

I am so envious of your wood stove. That fried chicken looks yummy. Good thing John's birthday only comes around once a year!