Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Dinosaurs Walk Among Us . . .



No, I'm no talking about those benighted individuals who cling to their Confederate flags and white supremacy as fervently as they cling to their assault rifles.



I'm talking about birds, more specifically this young turkey I encountered loitering by the roadside.


He's lost a lot of the scariness of the original dinosaurs, but if you're paying attention. the similarities are there.


Look at those feet, for one thing . . .


The dinosaurs are still here -- they just changed a bit -- in the same way the KKK or the White Citizens Council can morph into a Council of Conservative Citizens.





Hmmm, maybe I am talking about those other turkeys --
 the ones with their Confederate flags


 There's a good piece  HERE about the link between birds and dinosaurs.

8 comments:

Ms. A said...

I'll speak of the bird type... they do look prehistoric!

Chris said...

I was the only one to get an A on the evolution vs creationism essay in biology. I owe it all to the birds.

Barbara Rogers said...

Love the bird connection to dinosaurs...much more than the alligator one. But a lizard is ok still. Sad to think that our evolution (of all species) has a niche for white supremacists.

katy gilmore said...

You redeem the South for me Vicki!

Anonymous said...

I feel so hopeful that Gov. Haley is instigating the removal of the Confederate battle flag from the capitol grounds, TN and MS are considering removing Confederate emblems from their flags, and that Walmart is removing Confederate flag paraphernalia from its stores. Have we reached a tipping point?

Deana the Queena

Jime said...

Twas not to long ago that a South Carolina Dinosaur said about the flag "this is who we are". Now he stands with the folks that says, take it down. That sort of thing makes my head hurt and my eyes cross.

Love the wild turkeys. Yours looks like he would take a ride if you offered.

Frances said...

Vicki, this is a fine post. Yes, your young turkey surely does seem to have some massive ancestry. Can you imagine the sound of the Gobble, Gobble, Gobble those ancestors made.

I do agree with Jim about being wary of politicians' flexibility.

xo

L. D. said...

I had never thought of it before but I have always thought turkeys to be strange creature. It makes more sense that they fit in with the dragon flies and other prehistoric beasts.